Thursday, December 3, 2015

Naver Sign-up Guide

Good news! No more daunting registration process. Naver just rolled out a new registration form in English which makes it easier for those who live outside South Korea to create an account. If the system detects a visitor using a foreign IP address, the registration page will be rendered in English automatically. Hence, no need for any translation toolbar or plugin anymore!

To register, all you need is an active mobile number.

Creating a Naver Account


This guide has been tested on a laptop using Internet Explorer. You can use a smartphone, tablet or whatever, but please take note that the website might be rendered differently due to screen size and the options or links discussed below might be hard to find.

1. Open an internet browser, then go to www.naver.com.

2. Click 회원가입 [Register] below the login box. See screenshot for reference.

You may click on a screenshot to enlarge it.

Naver Home Page

3. On the next page [Terms of Service], click or tap on the icon across Terms of Service and Privacy Policy until they turned green, then click on Agree to continue.

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

4. On the next page, enter or select the required information. Read the following guidelines:

  • Username: You may use any letters from a to z, numbers, and underscore [minimum of 5]. You'll get a Welcome confirmation if your nominated username is available. e.g. kazehayakun26
  • Strong Password: A - z, 1 - 0, and special characters [length of 6 to 16]. e.g. Example123@
  • First and Last Name: English or Hangul. e.g. Kimchi Jjigae
  • Gender: Select one. e.g. Male
  • Birth Date: Enter the year, select the month, and type in the day manually. e.g. 1995/5/25
  • Recovery Email: Type in an alternate email address that you can use to recover your Naver account in the future. I advise you use a Gmail account. e.g. example@gmail.com
  • Mobile Number: Choose your country code in the drop-down menu, then type in your digits.

Naver Registration Form

5. Click Verify after entering your mobile number. Naver will send a 6-digit verification code via SMS. See example below.

Verification code from Naver

Note: Wait for the text message to arrive within 15 minutes. If you did not receive it after several attempts, double-check the number format or try to use a different number.

6. Type the verification code in the last box, then click on Confirm. You will get a confirmation message if the verification is successful.

7. [Optional] If there's a CAPTCHA code, enter it on the box provided.

8. To finish, click on the Sign Up button and you're done! [unless there's an error :/]

You may click on the Start button to start using your account.

Welcome Page

Aside from Mail, you may also use your Naver account to access Me, Blog, Game, Café, Office, Memo, NDrive, Calendar, Web Novel, Manhwa [Comics], KiN, et cetera.

Note: Naver will require you to undergo identity verification via i-Pin or a mobile phone before you can buy or download items from Music or Nstore.

Tip: If you get a pop-up during registration telling you that sign-up has been limited, it's most likely that your IP address has been blocked.

Reference


"NAVER". Retrieved on March 13, 2015 from www.naver.com

Updates/Amendments


  • December 3, 2015 - Major guide revamp. Screenshots have been updated. This post has been transferred from StarrGuide to this blogspot domain
  • January 11, 2016 - Added example for the recovery email part.
  • January 14, 2016 - Edited birth date field. Naver now added birth year box on the English registration form. Replaced previous screenshot.

---

For questions, suggestions, or comments, you may use the comment form below or send me an email by filling out the form at the sidebar. Feel free to inform me for any updates about the topic. Need assistance with creating an account? You may shoot a message to my Skype ID: iiamtenten.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial, it really helped! But do you have to buy the songs to listen to the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to Naver Music? If you don't have a music pass or subscription, by default, you can stream songs for thirty seconds only. No need to buy a song to listen to it. An unlimited streaming music pass will do.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm so sorry to bother you but I literally have no other idea what to do. Someone created a Naver account with my phone number and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to contact them to ask to have it deactivated!!! Is there any way you can help me??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received an email from you and just replied to it. :)

      Delete
  3. I typed in the email and it said that it has to include more things. I typed in I.abdi555

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't you miss the @domain part of your email address?

      Delete
  4. Hi I'm really sorry to bother you I have a naver account but I don't know how to purchase a song please can you help me (sorry for my english I'm french)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you done with the identity verification? If you have a foreign account, Naver will prompt you to accomplish that first.

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thanks for this post! However every time I try to sign up I end up getting a message that says 'the number entered is not available'. What does that mean? I got my verification number and it confirmed so I'm super confused. Everything else was filled in properly :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this same problem! Except for me it would say "please check your phone number" but there's nothing wrong with my phone? I got the verification code and verified it many times, but after I click 'sign up' I get a message saying "login failed" :c

      Delete
    2. I do not want to jump into a conclusion since I have not encountered such error before. Please contact Naver directly for assistance.

      Delete
    3. I solved this thru many times of attempting verification within seconds. For example right after receiving the verification code, I immediately type in the code that I have received after many trials of immediately pressing enter. I finally signed-up! Horrah!

      Delete
  6. Do you happen to have a guide for the identity verification part for people who want to purchase items from Naver Store? I don't have an i-PIN and don't live in Korea, but would still like to purchase a chapter of a webtoon. I do have a mobile phone number from my country and an international credit card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None as of writing. I think it is currently impossible to purchase an item on a Naver site if the account is not verified via i-PIN or a locally-issued mobile number.

      Delete
  7. I can't sign in because no matter what I type in the "First Name" box, it always says, "You can't use special letters." Am I the only one? What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the late posting. Were you able to resolve this? This is actually the first time I heard of such error.

      Delete
  8. I can't sign up. It's said 5~20 characters with letters(a-z), numbers, and Special characters (_), (-),
    What should i do then? Thank you and sorry for my bad english

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this regarding your password?

      Delete
    2. This happens for me as well...it doesn't let me sign up because my username is not being accepted and the different usernames i"ve tried aren't exactly common ones

      Delete
  9. I keep getting an error saying "the number is not available" after pressing sign up. help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My account has been suspended from logging in. It says that my account was joined from abuse-suspicious location or in an abnormal process(???). How can I retrieve my account back?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment, suggestion, or whatever. I'll reply as soon as I can. Make sure you don't write your message in text-speak as it will most likely go to Trash. Write your comment legibly and don't make it hard for me. Type in English only. Again, thanks! XD - TenTen